Monday, September 23, 2013

"Cleopatra: A Life" by Stacy Schiff

Let me begin by saying that I was always fascinated by Cleopatra as a historical figure, although granted, everything I knew about her I learned from the popular culture. Cleopatra is normally presented as a powerful and proud queen, who was loved by both Julius Ceasar and Mark Antony, and who famously took her own life rather than surrender to Romans.

If you are looking for a quick-paced novel about Cleopatra, this book is not for you. This is not fiction, it is a biography. It is very well researched and based on historical facts. To be sure, the author examines popular myths and misconceptions, but this book is for those who want to learn about the real historical figure rather than read a historic fiction.

To be honest, even though very interesting and engaging, this book was a slow read for me. It gets a bit dry in places and well... reads like a well-researched biography. So I would say as long as this is what you are looking for, you will not be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment